Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Job Hunting is a Bitch...

I'm frustrated. I was supposed to go back to work at the end of February however after some daycare complications that were beyond my control, I ended up having to quit my job since they would not hold the position for me longer than the last day of my medical leave. Like, my medical leave ended on Thursday and they wanted me back on Friday first thing in the morning type deal.

Since that happened I have been looking for work. I have sent countless resumes out only to hear just about nothing back. The reality of the situation is, I get it. I have no college degree. And while I have some work experience, I do not have a solid job history due to being mostly a stay at home mom all of this time. The job search seems to be dead set on reminding me that I have no real value outside of raising kids and to be honest, even that is questionable at times. I mean, I've managed to keep 4 kids alive, fed and with a roof over their heads yet those things aren't really skills I can list on my resume. If anything, for most employers that makes me a risk.

There is little comfort in the fact that I am not alone in this struggle. There are a ton of moms who take time off, whether willingly or unwillingly, and are unable to reenter the job force. I have friends that are college educated, that decided to stay home and are now unable to get jobs. I have friends that were unable to justify paying high daycare costs due to what they were being paid and stayed home only to not be able to get a job after.

So, what are we supposed to do? If we stay home we are useless. But, if we don't we don't care about our kids. There is so much pressure on moms to be in both arenas and no real options for how to make it happen. It truly feels like a lose/lose situation most of the time. While there are some women who are able to balance both working and being a mom, there are many of us that would like to achieve the same but have many roadblocks.



No comments:

Post a Comment